Friday 1 July 2011

Jane by April Lindner


  • Hardcover: 384 pages
  • Publisher: Poppy; 1 edition (4 Nov 2010)
  • Language English
  • ISBN-10: 0316084204
  • ISBN-13: 978-0316084208



What if Jane Eyre fell in love with a rockstar?


Forced to drop out of an esteemed East Coast college after the sudden death of her parents, Jane Moore takes a nanny job at Thornfield Park, the estate of Nico Rathburn, an iconic rock star on the brink of a huge comeback. Practical and independent, Jane reluctantly becomes entranced by her magnetic and brooding employer, and finds herself in the midst of a forbidden romance. But there's a mystery at Thornfield, and Jane's much-envied relationship with Nico is tested by a torturous secret from his past.


I am a HUGE Jane Eyre fan, I have read the book countless times and seen every adaptation ever made but I hadn't heard of this book until I saw it on a fellow bloggers youtube channel and it was published October 2010, so I was a bit like WHY HAVE I NOT HEARD OF THIS BOOK!! Naturally I had to order it right then because I'm sure most Eyre fans would want to know how the classic story would play out today.


Cover:  I think this is a perfect cover for this book and actually included it my video Top 10 fav covers Ever...or at least at the moment.  I like that the image is what could be considered a typical Bronte-esque image of a girl looking windswept on a gloomy moor and then suddenly JANE is bright pink showing that it's a new and contemporary version of the classic novel.


Plot: The plot obviously stays as close to that of the original Jane Eyre but just updates it to a modern setting.
         Jane Moore is left to fend for herself after her parents were killed in an accident and her brother and sister don't really care what happens to her, and so she has to quit school to find work as a nanny to support herself.  And she does.  For rockstar Nico Rathburn's daughter Maddy.  Jane soon finds herself fascinated by Nico.  When he seems to return her feelings a secret from his past threatens to destroy their love.


Anyone that has read Jane Eyre will not be shocked by the 'secret'.


Characters:


Jane Moore- 19 Year old girl.  Feels that she looks plain and simple.  Her family didn't understand her, thinking that she was too cold and serious, often alienating her.


Nico Rathburn- Dark and handsome rockstar on the verge of a comeback.  


Maddy- Nico's 5 year old little girl in his custody because her french popstar mother was incapable of looking afer her.  Soon develops an attachment to Jane.


Bianca Ingram- A famous photographer that wants to photograph Nico and his band and takes an instant dislike to Jane.  Seems to Jane there may be more than a professional relationship but is Nico using her to make Jane jealous...


Writing Style:  A really well paced book but I felt that some parts of the book (Jane's interaction with Maddy and the ending) were rushed.


Rating: 3.5/5 stars.  I really wanted to give this book more but I felt that it just lacked something, and there were a few little pet hates for me, e.g. calling Nico's dog Copilot just call him Pilot, it's not clever or witty to rename Rochester's dog from Pilot to Copilot.  I also felt that Jane's interaction with Maddy was skimmed over.  This plays an important part in the original story as Jane has a positive influence on the little girl's life, and I felt that April Lindner just brushed off the interaction and made it simple and by doing so also making it insignificant, e.g.  'After I put Maddy to bed' and that would be it, and April Lindner being an avid fan of the original should have recognised that.
I also felt at times Jane was portrayed far weaker than she should have been, often having "tears spring to her eyes".
    Howeverit was well paced-easily a two day read even if I felt the ending was a little rushed and could have provided the reader with more closure as the Jane and Nico's future as is with the original plot but I commend April Lindner for writing a Jane Eyre that will  appeal to a new generation of readers and inspiring them to read the original classic.
    I really liked that more umm 'intimate' scenes between Jane and Nico were included adding more to the more contemporary context.


I would recommend this for fans of the original classic as I'm sure they'd appreciate seeing Brontë's classic updated in such a relatable way, as well as those that have never Jane Eyre for whatever reason because April Lindner successfully retells Jane Eyre in the style of a realistic, contemporary YA novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment