Tuesday 11 October 2011

Captivated by D. Apodaca

  • Received from author.
  • Paperback: 375 pages
  • Publisher: Eminent Books; 1st edition (June 10, 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0983392900
  • ISBN-13: 978-0983392903
Mindy Keenan couldn't shake the feeling that somehow...in a matter of moments...the boy she once knew was not the one standing before her.
After Mindy's childhood best friend, Dean Aiken, shuts her and everyone else out of his life, she learns to move on. Years pass and she gets used to the fact that he's no longer a part of her life, but things begin to change...
Mindy's new best friend, Markus Medina, witnesses Dean kill two people behind a club. Mindy has a hard time believing him, especially when he mentions that the bodies disappear. Poof! Into thin air. Markus decides he has to follow Dean around in order to get evidence that he's been killing people, so he doesn't sound like a nut to the police.
Despite Marcus crazy theories about the possibility of Dean not being human. And not to mention the fact that he's dangerous. Mindy can't help that she may be falling in love with him. Even after hiding their feelings for each other from the world. Dean and Mindy being together stirs up dangers that neither of them could ever imagine. When she finds out about what Dean really is and the world he tried to keep her away from...it's already too late.

Firstly I have to say a huge thanks to Deborah for sending me her book after I couldn't get hold of a paperback version here in the UK.

Cover:  Wow.  The cover is strikingly beautiful, the contrast between the gray and then vibrant hair and eye is so eye catching.  I love it!

Plot: Mindy and Dean used to be close.  Until the night Dean's parents were brutally killed, changing their friendship forever.  Dean grows cold and distant. Like she doesn't exist.
Years later Mindy swears Dean watches her, that when he looks at her his eyes are no longer cold but heated.  Just as weird things start happening- bodies with strange marks on them and a ethereal looking guy turns up at school.
Is there a future for Mindy and Dean.


I was told a few reviewers had found the first few chapters slow but I had no such problem, finding the book fast paced and I quickly got through it.
There were only a couple of niggly things that I didn't like- mainly that the main character Mindy sometimes came off as shallow and self absorbed, "Checking herself out in the mirror" and I felt constantly concentrating on how the guys looked...base level stuff.
Overall I found the writing style fast paced and easy to read, which made the book very enjoyable.  Extra props if her Mother saying "Wrath's waiting" when she was going off to read her book was a Black Dagger Brotherhood reference...if if wasn't I'm going to take it that it was :P
The book is pre-dominantly Mindy's perspective but the last few chapters were Dean's, and I found myself enjoying those chapters the most.
The dynamic of humans, vampires and slayers and who's who really worked well.  But man the ending DEVASTATED me, a total NOOOOO moment.  It can't end like that I HAVE to know what happens.  I am completely hooked now.
Overall I would give this book 4/5 stars, Mindy's character really prevented me from giving it 5.  It's great if you love paranormal romance.
I hope to find out what happens next soon and the end is killing me.


* Keep your eyes peeled on the blog because I will be hosting a giveaway for an e-copy of Captivated courtesy of D. Apodaca soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment