Monday 31 October 2011

The Iron King by Julie Kagawa


  • Paperback: 384 pages
  • Publisher: Mira Books (21 Jan 2011)
  • Language English
  • ISBN-10: 0778304345
  • ISBN-13: 978-0778304340

Meghan Chase has a secret destiny; one she could never have imagined.
Something has always felt slightly off in Meghan's life, ever since her father disappeared before her eyes when she was six. She has never quite fit in at school or at home.
When a dark stranger begins watching her from afar, and her prankster best friend becomes strangely protective of her, Meghan senses that everything she's known is about to change.
But she could never have guessed the truth - that she is the daughter of a mythical faery king and is a pawn in a deadly war. Now Meghan will learn just how far she'll go to save someone she cares about, to stop a mysterious evil no faery creature dare face; and to find love with a young prince who might rather see her dead than let her touch his icy heart.

This series has been all over the blogsphere and I've heard mixed things so I thought I would finally give it a try (after having it on my shelf for 3 months).

Cover: Very pretty cover.  Almost worth buying them for the beautiful covers alone.

Plot: Meghan's simple life is about to get crazy.  Weird things start happening.  She swears she starts seeing strange creatures, and there can't really be a monster in her little brother's closet...can there?  When he's stolen and taken to the fantastical land of the Nevernever Meghan has to rescue him, with the help of her best friend Robbie who is more than he has always appeared to be, and of an ice prince, Ash.  She starts to fall for Ash but he can be trusted and can they survive the danger that is the Nevernever.

First of all I must say I don't seem to have much luck when it comes to Fey books.  Having said that out of the ones I've read this is the best.  However I would still give it a 3/5 stars.  The premise was good but I never got to the point I couldn't put it down.  I found the protagonist Meghan to be weak and selfish (definite parallels with Bella from Twilight).  Also there is a definite love triangle feel to the book which I don't like in any book.  The thing that I really liked about this book was Ash.  He was definitely a great male character.
I would recommend this if you love fey books, but it's not for everyone.  I will read on in the series in the hope that it will get better and eventually hook me in.   

4 comments:

  1. I can agree with you about hating love triangles in books, I just don't know if I really saw it as that big of a issue in this book. I know it's there, it just didn't seem like a huge focus. This was the first "Fey" type book I've read, and I personally really enjoyed it. But I can completely agree with some of your points. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read this for awhile, and like you I've seen both good and bad reviews everywhere. Reading this review, I'm a little hesitant to pick up the book because of how you viewed the protagonist. However, I'll probably still end up getting it. Really good review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Justin: I'm glad you enjoyed it, I didn't hate it...I just wasn't blown away. I think it may just be Fey in general...they just might not be for me. I will definitely continue the series though and see how it goes. As for the love triangle...it was more of a 'feel' of one...definitely feelings on Puck's part and I can just see its going to develop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kat: There have been ALOT of great reviews for this book. I would say check out the reviews from goodreads and see if what people are saying convinces you or not. I would try it...maybe get it from the library if you can just to test it, or if you pick it up cheaply from somewhere. You might love it

    ReplyDelete