Friday 11 November 2011

Fateful by Cheri Schmidt

Received from author

  • Paperback: 364 pages
  • Publisher: CreateSpace (April 7, 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1461103991
  • ISBN-13: 978-1461103998


A huge fan of Jane Austen, Danielle hopes to find her own Mr. Darcy when she leaves Colorado to attend art school in London. Of course she knows it's silly to wish for that, naive even. But she's met enough males who lacked respect for women, a growing trend it seemed. And at nineteen...well.... However, on only her second night there she gets lost and is threatened by a stalker who proves to be immune to her martial arts training. Before she is completely overpowered, she is then saved by Ethan Deveroux. 

While Danielle does find the romance she seeks in Ethan, he's no Mr. Darcy. Her hero is held by a spell which fractures their chance at a happy ending. During the day Ethan is closer to mortal than immortal and can date her like any other man. Yet, as the sun sets, the powerful magic of an ancient curse returns and the evil of that spell is revealed. When that magic begins, Danielle's fairytale romance ends because Ethan Deveroux is a vampire. 



Firstly a huge thanks to Cheri for sending me this!!


Cover:  I liked how it was a more realistic cover, that the people look real for a change.  I then found out they tah dah they ARE real!  Being Cheri's daughter and a friend...I found that to be a nice touch...even if the guy is not how I pictured Ethan.


Plot: Danielle is attacked by a vampire...and saved by one.  When she moves to England she didn't expect that...or to fall for one.  Ethan is cursed to be a man during the day but become a monster at night...can they make a relationship work or will his enemy Lucas end it before it begins?


4/5 stars.  I really enjoyed this book.  I liked that it was set in England (yay- most of the YA fiction I read is set in the US so it made a nice change to read about places that I know) as well as Danielle being a huge Jane Austen fan (TOTALLY relatable on my part).  She was unashamedly a girly girl when it came to dress but she learnt karate.  I liked this part of it- that she's not your typically weak YA girl but actually against vampires she's still frustratingly weak.  
The love interest between her and Ethan was enjoyable, even if I found it to be a little too fast.  It's mentioned that they knew it other 'before' but that's not really covered, it's mentioned and I was like 'ohhhhh' and then...it wasn't explained but I'm sure that it will be in book 2, Fractured. Ethan lived in a different time and is still a perfect gentleman, so Danielle gets her own Darcy. I can see why some reviews have drawn paralles between Fateful and Twilight and I can see why but it was different enough that I didn't spend the whole thinking this is a twilight rip because it wasn't.
I LOVED the bad vamps, Celeste and Lucas were evil and I can't wait to see how they come back after being thwarted.  
I feel that a lot was set up in this for book 2 so I'm really looking forward to seeing where it goes, and I look forward to more development character wise, particularly romance wise.
I would recommend this book for fans of 'light' paranormal YA.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this, Erin! And, just so you know, you learn how they know each other in book three. ;)

    And your synopsis is brilliant! I may have to quote you. :D

    ReplyDelete