Tuesday 27 December 2011

The Duff by Kody Keplinger


  • Paperback: 280 pages
  • Publisher: Poppy (7 Jun 2011)
  • Language English
  • ISBN-10: 0316084247
  • ISBN-13: 978-0316084246
Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face. 

But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.
Cover: I love the vibrant colours of this cover.  A simple cover and yet I can't help but love it.  When I saw Simone Elkeles blurbed it I finally made up my mind to get it.
5/5 stars!  I am not a huge reader of contemporary, predominantly reading paranormal, but there are a few that when I have read them I loved them (Perfect Chemistry & Anna and the French Kiss, for example).  So I had high expectations of The Duff and they were surpassed.
This is now my favourite YA contemporary read and is up there with my all time favourites.  I felt this was such a refreshing read, and I will now read anything Kody Keplinger ever writes.
She has such an honest writing style that is not at all patronising.  It's really a young adult novel BY a young adult which results in a realistic story with a realistic narrative voice, as well as really relatable characters, I felt 'Oh yes I think the same thing' or 'I know someone just like that'.
I think perhaps Keplinger being a young adult herself means she brings her own remarkable insights to it as well as an incredible sense of humour that had me roaring.
Be warned if you don't like a lot of strong language, if this is the case this may not be the book for you.  I didn't mind this aspect as it adds that essence of realism that makes the whole book ring true (not that I'm saying ALL teenagers swear relentlessly).
Keplinger has created a vibrant and refreshing novel)that is not a thinly veiled fairy tale) that young adults will relate to.
This is a book I will be constantly be recommending to everyone.

1 comment:

  1. I've been meaning to read this one for a while now! I've read so many good reviews on it. Definitely will be checking this one out very soon. Great review! =)

    ReplyDelete