Wednesday 14 March 2012

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

Hardcover: 272 pages
Publisher: Dutton (12 Jan 2012)
Language English
ISBN-10: 0525478817
ISBN-13: 978-0525478812

Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now. Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means) Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault. Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly, to her interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.

Cover: I'm a fan of this bright but simple cover.

Where to start with this review...

5/5 stars!

I have never been so emotionally shattered by a book in my life.  This is my first John Green read but it will not be my last.  I was completely blown away by The Fault In Our Stars.  I was skeptical that any book could make me laugh AND cry in equal measure, especially a cancer book, but this book did that and more.  I actually laughed out loud, bawled my eyes out -but was left with a feeling of total amazement and was a little overwhelmed by just how good it was.
When friends and family asked me 'what are you reading?' 'What's it about?' 'Is it good?'.  And I answered with, 'The Fault In Our Stars, teenagers with cancer that fall in love, it's amazing and hilarous!'  They just looked at me with horror.  '' HOW CAN THAT BE FUNNY?!?!'  Of course I tried to explain that it's not that they have cancer that's funny (obviously), it's them as characters, their wit and intelligence is phenomenal.  Of course cancer is part of them but it's not who they are.  And that is why John Green is a genius, and why I can't recommend this book enough.  I firmly believe everyone in the world should read this.
It's the most beautiful piece of literature I have ever read and I know that it will resonate with me for years to come, it made me proud to be a nerdfighter, a reader, and a human being.

My FIOS playlist:
The Fault is in our Stars by Meghan Tonjes
The Fault in our Stars by Bloom
Do You Realize by The Flaming Lips
I Will Follow You Into The Dark by Death Cab For Cutie

2 comments:

  1. I really need to stop being the only person in the world to not have this book!

    Marlene Detierro (Fishing Lodges Alaska)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a book I recommend to everyone :)

      Delete