Sunday 25 March 2012

Heaven by Christoph Marzi

Paperback: 416 pages
Publisher: Orchard (2 Feb 2012)
Language English
ISBN-10: 1408314665
ISBN-13: 978-1408314661



The night that Heaven lost her heart was cold and moonless. But the blade that sliced it out was warm with her dark blood...

David Pettyfer is taking a shortcut over the dark rooftops of London's brooding houses, when he literally stumbles across Heaven: a strange, beautiful, distraught girl who says that bad men have stolen her heart. Yet she's still alive...

And so begins David and Heaven's wild, exciting and mysterious adventure - to find Heaven's heart, and to discover the incredible truth about her origins.

Part thriller, part love story and part fairy tale, this brilliantly original novel from a bestselling German author will take your breath away...



Cover: I think the cover is a great match for the plot but I'm not overly keen.  I just think compared to other YA book covers it's a little dull.


3/5 stars.  
I hadn't heard anything about this book and picked it up by chance when I saw it in the supermarket, simply because the incredibly brief blurb reminded me of the movie Stardust.
I have found it hard to write a review for Heaven, simply struggling with what I want to say and how I want to say it.  Maybe this is actually an indication that it didn't really have an impact on and that I was just indifferent.
I felt that the overall premise of the book was great!  The blurb really drew me in by how dark it was.  But I felt the plot didn't move enough and that the majority of the book felt like David and Heaven running all over the place.
The great thing about this book though is that it felt 'fresh', a new take on zombies and fairies.
I LOVED that it was in David's perspective as most YA novels are in the girl's POV.
I didn't enjoy the writing, I found myself not really taking it in and having to re-read sentences.  The writing, particularly descriptions, just weren't very gripping. 
My favourite aspect was the love interest but for me there wasn't enough of it to really enjoy this book.
Overall I liked the premise of the book but the writing and romance let it down for me.
I would recommend this if you are looking for a decent stand alone or want something a little different but not if you're searching for a good paranormal romance.

2 comments:

  1. I bought this book the other day (also from the supermarket, it was a very good price and I couldn't resist!)I know what you mean, I'll probably stick it out to the end but it has been hard to get into the writing style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great price, which im pleased about because I think if I'd paid more for it I would be angry at myself lol

      Delete