Thursday 25 October 2012

Booking Through Thursday

Booking Through Thursday is a weekly meme hosted by Booking Through Thursday and a different question is posted every week. 


The flip side of last week’s …
Are there any good books that you read IN SPITE OF the cover and ended up wondering what on earth the artist and publisher were thinking to pair up a cover that so badly represented a perfectly good book?
And … if you didn’t like the cover, what made you pick up the book? The author? Assigned reading from school? A recommendation from a friend?

When I read this question I thought 'Yes!!! Tons!!!', and then struggled to find them lol. 
But a book that I recently read did spring to mind.
When it first came out last year I was reluctant to pick it up because the UK cover is so drastically different to the US one.
UK Cover

US Cover















I much preferred the more striking and vibrant US one.  But one day in the supermarket chart I saw it there, reasonably priced, and picked it up.
And it sat on my shelf for a year.  
I picked it up the other day, started reading, and was hooked.
I was kicking myself for not reading it earlier.
And I'm sure if I had the US cover I would have.  But the UK cover just didn't make me want to pick it up, which is a shame because the book itself is phenomenal and has become one of my favourites.

8 comments:

  1. I never understood why the covers have to be so different in each country. I like the purple of the UK cover but it doesn't catch my eye as much as the US version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get it either. So many of the UK covers aren't as good in comparison.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this book, never heard of it, nor the author. I'd be tempted to pick it up for a closer look with the UK cover, but not with the US one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't hate the UK cover, but I find the US more striking, I'm instantly more drawn to it. I loved the story though.

      Delete
  3. It took me awhile, too, Erin....I think I ultimately turn away from the covers that don't grab me....because I only found two books with covers that I didn't like. And they really weren't that bad.

    I don't like the first Daughter of Smoke and Bone cover....

    Here's MY THURSDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. The US cover looks more intriguing.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2012/10/booking-through-thursday_25.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, they did tone it down in the UK. Strange.

    http://carabosseslibrary.blogspot.com/2012/10/booking-through-thursday_25.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. The US cover is more eye-catching.

    http://citygirlwholovestoread.blogspot.com/2012/10/booking-through-thursday_25.html

    ReplyDelete