Wednesday 24 October 2012

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor


  • Hardcover: 432 pages
  • Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton (29 Sep 2011)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 144472262X
  • ISBN-13: 978-1444722628
  • "Errand requiring immediate attention. Come.

    The note was on vellum, pierced by the talons of the almost-crow that delivered it. Karou read the message. 'He never says please', she sighed, but she gathered up her things.
    When Brimstone called, she always came."


    In general, Karou has managed to keep her two lives in balance. On the one hand, she's a seventeen-year-old art student in Prague; on the other, errand-girl to a monstrous creature who is the closest thing she has to family. Raised half in our world, half in 'Elsewhere', she has never understood Brimstone's dark work - buying teeth from hunters and murderers - nor how she came into his keeping. She is a secret even to herself, plagued by the sensation that she isn't whole.

    Now the doors to Elsewhere are closing, and Karou must choose between the safety of her human life and the dangers of a war-ravaged world that may hold the answers she has always sought.
  • Cover:  I don't hate the UK cover for this book, but it simply pales in comparison to the gorgeous and striking black and vibrant blue US cover.
I can't believe I had this book sitting on my shelf for a year, and have waited this long to pick it up and read!!  I am kicking myself!
I freaking loved this book.  I devoured it.
It was a fast-paced, page turning dream.
The characters in this book were so rich in detail, I felt I really knew them well by the end of the book.
I loved everything about Karou, I thought she was an amazing protagonist- for example I loved the revenge she took on her cheating ex boyfriend....hilarious.
I also enjoyed Akiva's character, the dead inside seraph that comes alive through love - sounds corny but it's really beautiful.
I loved that the book was kind of split into two halves, first half being "Karou's" and the second half being flashbacks or memories (so hard not to spoil at this point!)
I was really pleased that we also got Akiva's perspective, and I think they may have been my favourite parts of the book.
I loved the writing in this book - the descriptions were vivid and beautiful, and I really built up images in my mind while I was reading.
This paranormal/fantasy is simply amazing.  The whole concept blew my mind.
If you're like me and you've seen this around and have been unsure or it's been sitting on your shelf...PICK IT UP!!
Obviously I give this 5/5 stars!  There was not one thing I didn't like about this book.
I can't wait to read the sequel really soon, as the evil cliff hanger at the end is killing me.
I highly recommend this for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment