Monday 12 November 2012

Magic Study (Study #2) by Maria V. Snyder

  • Paperback: 432 pages
  • Publisher: Mira Books; Young adult ed edition 2008
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1848451172
  • ISBN-13: 978-1848451179
  • You know your life is bad when you miss your days as a poison taster... 

    With an execution order on her head, Yelena has no choice but to escape to Sitia, the land of her birth. With only a year to master her magic - or face death - Yelena must begin her apprenticeship and travels to the Four Towers of the Magician's Keep.

    But nothing in Sitia is familiar. Not the family to whom she is a stranger. Not the unsettling new facets of her magic. Nor the brother who resents her return. As she struggles to understand where she belongs and how to control her rare powers, a rogue magician emerges - and Yelena catches his eye.

    Suddenly she is embroiled in battle of good against evil. And once again it will be her magical abilities that will either save her life...or be her downfall.
  • Cover: Love that the cover has the same look and feel as the first book, but the details have changed, felecting the changes that Yelena faces.  Green (I love that part because it's my favourite colour) feflects her Zaltana heritage, her family are a jungle clan.
  • As soon as I finished Poison Study I had to pick up the next book in the trilogy.
  • I enjoyed Magic Study just s much as Poison Study.  Even though the setting moved from Ixia to Sitia, there was still intrigue, danger, mystery and a kick butt heroine were still in Magic Study.  The only thing it missed was the actual poison element - I really liked the unusual premise of it in book 1 and just missed it even though I understood that Yelena as a character had to evolve and move forward.
  • The lack of Valek bothered me a little.  After Poison Study I felt that we needed to see more of him and Yelena as a viable couple, not less of him.  So that was a little disappointing.
  • Regardless I was enthralled by Magic Study and definitely recommend what I've read of this series so far to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment