Wednesday 29 May 2013

Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols

Paperback: 256 pages
  • Publisher: MTV Books (20 April 2009)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1416571736
  • ISBN-13: 978-1416571735
HOW FAR WOULD YOU GO?
All Meg has ever wanted is to get away. Away from high school. Away from her backwater town. Away from her parents who seem determined to keep her imprisoned in their dead-end lives. But one crazy evening involving a dare and forbidden railroad tracks, she goes way too far...and almost doesn't make it back.
John made a choice to stay. To enforce the rules. To serve and protect. He has nothing but contempt for what he sees as childish rebellion, and he wants to teach Meg a lesson she won't soon forget. But Meg pushes him to the limit by questioning everything he learned at the police academy. And when he pushes back, demanding to know why she won't be tied down, they will drive each other to the edge -- and over....
Cover:  I'm not a fan of this cover.  I find facial close ups kinda dreepy, and I spent a lot of time laughing over the guys ridiculous stubble.
A friend lent this to me, and I was left underwhelmed.
At the very beginning I had issues that left me finding it difficult to connect to anyone because I couldn't believe anything.
For example, how could anyone mistake a 19 year old for a 'forty-year-old-married-cop-with-14-kids'.  Exactly.  No one.
I didn't like our protagonist Meg- ok she has some issues but most of the time she just comes across as a bitch and I could relate to her in any way at all.
John was ok I guess, but I didn't feel we got to know him enough.
Their 'romance' was lacking.
I just didn't feel it.

Also I didn't feel that Meg's issues were adequately resolved, it comes across that she dies her hair back to her natural colour instead of bright blue and hey presto- she's normal.   Like having her died suddenly fixes everything.  
Going Too Far get half marks for me.
2.5/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment