Tuesday 18 June 2013

Dare You To by Katie McGarry

  • Paperback: 352 pages
  • Publisher: Mira Ink (7 Jun 2013)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1848452284
  • ISBN-13: 978-1848452282
Ryan lowers his lips to my ear. "Dance with me, Beth."

"No." I whisper the reply. I hate him and I hate myself for wanting him to touch me again....

"I dare you..."


If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk's home life, they'd send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mom at all costs. Until the day her uncle swoops in and forces Beth to choose between her mom's freedom and her own happiness. That's how Beth finds herself living with an aunt who doesn't want her and going to a school that doesn't understand her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn't get her, but does....

Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock-with secrets he can't tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the Skater girl who couldn't be less interested in him.

But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams-and his life-for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all....


Cover:  I love the image on this cover- as we know I'm a sucker for cutesy, romantic covers.  But I'm not such a fan of the red.  I prefer the blue on the US cover.  Really want a US edition.

Pushing The Limits was one of my favourite reads of 2012, so naturally Dare You To is one of my most eagerly releases of 2013.
Beth was a difficult character to like in Pushing The Limits, she comes across as a bitch for bitches sake, but actually we in Dare You To we see that it's a defense mechanism.  Beth has been hurt and let down repeatedly and subsequently finds it hard to trust and love people- instead acting like a hard ass.  You really grow to love her and understand her.
Ryan was interesting too.  I really thought I'd find it hard to root for them as a couple because I love Isaiah.  But I freaking loved Ryan too!
He's a jock.  Automatically Beth hates him.  They're complete opposites.
Ryan loves baseball, but he may just be good enough to be a writer.  At least his teacher thinks so.  He's always just wanted to play pro ball but winning a writing competition gives him choices.  Also...his family life may not be as perfect as it projects.
While Beth and Ryan should be opposites...there are also similarities, and a fierce attraction that can't be ignored.
Katie McGarry tackles realistic issues but also creates a beautiful romance that results in an un-put-downable read, that had me hooked from beginning to end.  I love alternating character perspectives in YA contemporaries and Katie McGarry is one of the best at it!
I think that Pushing The Limits has the edge slightly.  It would take a lot to beat that one, but Dare You To was amazing too!  And I just can't wait for Isaiah's book.  I need that!!!
This is a must-read! 
5/5 stars.

Alas I also made a video review!


No comments:

Post a Comment