Thursday 11 July 2013

Acid by Emma Pass

  • Received for review
  • Paperback: 448 pages
  • Publisher: Corgi Childrens (25 April 2013)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 0552566144
2113. In Jenna Strong’s world, ACID – the most brutal, controlling police force in history – rule supreme. No throwaway comment or muttered dissent goes unnoticed – or unpunished. And it was ACID agents who locked Jenna away for life, for a bloody crime she struggles to remember.

The only female inmate in a violent high-security prison, Jenna has learned to survive by any means necessary. And when a mysterious rebel group breaks her out, she must use her strength, speed and skill to stay one step ahead of ACID – and to uncover the truth about what really happened on that dark night two years ago.


Cover- Love the colour scheme, and the sexy, strong, kick-ass girl is a perfect match for our heroine.

Oh boy.  Where do I start?  I genuinely don't think I have the words to adequately describe how much I enjoyed reading this one.  But I have to give it a go.
As soon as I picked this book up- I was hooked.  I didn't want to stop for anything.  Dystopian fiction isn't normally a 'go-to' genre for me, I find it very hit or miss.  But Acid captivated me from the very first page, right up to the last.  It's non-stop action.  And the world was so well developed- the futuristic world of komms and c-cards, eFics and rotos.  Where Britain is being run by a police force that came to power through a time of economic crisis.
It reminded me of a V For Vendetta/Hitler's Rise to Power mash up.
I LOVED that it was set in a dystopian Britain, known as Independent Republic of Britain.  The other dystopian novels I've read, are all set in the US.  For example, Divergent, is a dysopian Chicago.  So it was refreshing to read about a possible futuristic Britain.  Terrifying, but brilliant. 
Jenna is the perfect protagonist.  Strong.  Independent.  Likeable.  I loved that she goes through so much, and yet you don't see her bawling her eyes on on every page.  You definitely grow to not only like, but respect her.
The romance element was perfect.  It definitely takes a back burner and isn't over done.  It's not the focus of the story, but definitely adds something.
My one and only issue, and it's nothing major, it didn't ruin anything for me, and that's the 'terrorist' group NAR that used violence to fight against ACID, we don't really find out enough about them.  Especially the groups leader.  I was left with a few questions regarding them.
Over all, this has become an instant favourite of mine.  I didn't want it to end, I could have kept turning pages for days to come.
Can't recommend highly enough.
5/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment