Sunday 7 July 2013

Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks

  • Paperback: 416 pages
  • Publisher: Sphere (17 Jan 2013)
  • Language: Unknown
  • ISBN-10: 0751548529
  • ISBN-13: 978-0751548525
When a mysterious young woman named Katie appears in the small North Carolina town of Southport, her reluctance to join the tight-knit community raises questions about her past. Beautiful yet unassuming, Katie is determined to avoid forming personal ties until a series of events leads her to begin to let down her guard.

Despite her reservations, Katie gains the courage to start a relationship with Alex, a widowed store owner with two young children. But dark secrets intrude on her new life with such terror that she’s forced to rediscover the meaning of sacrifice and rely on the power of love in this deeply moving romantic thriller.


Cover:  Despite this being the movie cover, which I normally don't like, I love this one.  I think it's because one, I love cute, romantic covers, and two, I freaking love Josh Duhamel. Mmm.

I find Nicholas Sparks reads very hit or miss.  But I wanted to read this one because I LOVE the look of the movie, again with the Josh Duhamel.
I wanted to see the movie at the cinema, but no one else wanted to go, so I have to wait for the dvd so I read this ti tide me over.  I really enjoyed it.
It was romantic but did also have it's darker side, tackling the issue of abuse.
The romance between Katie and Alex was really sweet, but for me it seemed to jump to 'love' really quickly.  I would have liked a tad more build up.
The chapters in Katie's abusive husband Kevin's point of view were really dark and twisted, and I think Nicholas Sparks really portrayed the mind set of a possessive, abusive and insane husband.
Over all I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, and while it wasn't my favourite Nicholas Sparks reads it was definitely one I enjoyed more.
4.5/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment