Friday 1 November 2013

Girl of Nightmares (Anna #2) by Kendare Blake

Publisher: Tor Books
Published: 07 August 2012
Format: Hardback 332 pages
ISBN 13: 9780765328663
ISBN 10: 0765328666

It's been months since the ghost of Anna Korlov opened a door to Hell in her basement and disappeared into it, but ghost-hunter Cas Lowood can't move on.

His friends remind him that Anna sacrificed herself so that Cas could live—not walk around half dead. He knows they're right, but in Cas's eyes, no living girl he meets can compare to the dead girl he fell in love with.


Now he's seeing Anna everywhere: sometimes when he's asleep and sometimes in waking nightmares. But something is very wrong...these aren't just daydreams. Anna seems tortured, torn apart in new and ever more gruesome ways every time she appears.


Cas doesn't know what happened to Anna when she disappeared into Hell, but he knows she doesn't deserve whatever is happening to her now. Anna saved Cas more than once, and it's time for him to return the favor.



Cover:  The covers to this duology are phenomenal.  One of the most perfect covers for a series ever.

I was blown away by Anna Dressed In Blood.  It became one of my all time favourite books.  I loved the whole concept, I loved that it was a YA horror (I'm a big fan of horror but this made me at least consider the genre a bit more), I loved that it was in a guy's point of view, and that guy was a kick ass ghost hunter.
I've waited so long to read this, because the expectation for this sequel was immensely high.
But I thought it would be a perfect October read.
This wasn't an awful read.  Just wanna get that out there.
But I just didn't love it as much.
I found it started off very slow.  Nothing really happened for the first 100 pages.
There wasn't enough Anna in this book. 
Stuff about an ancient order that created the magical knife that dispatches ghosts was kind of boring.
It picked up for the last 70 pages or so, but otherwise it just didn't live up to the high standard of the first book.
I did really enjoy when Cas first starts seeing Anna and he thinks he's going mad.  Those scenes were done really well.
The issue could just be me.  It just didn't 'wow' me the way Anna Dressed In Blood did.
The first book was a 5/5 star read, but this was a 3.5/5 stars. 
Disappointing but not awful.



No comments:

Post a Comment