Sunday 17 November 2013

The Edge of Never by J.A Redmerski

Paperback: 480 pages
Publisher: Harper (4 July 2013)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0007523181

Twenty-year-old Camryn Bennett thought she knew exactly where her life was going. But after a wild night at the hottest club in downtown Raleigh, North Carolina, she shocks everyone-including herself-when she decides to leave the only life she's ever known and set out on her own. Grabbing her purse and her cell phone, Camryn boards a Greyhound bus ready to find herself. Instead, she finds Andrew Parrish.

Sexy and exciting, Andrew lives life like there is no tomorrow. He persuades Camryn to do things she never thought she would and shows her how to give in to her deepest, most forbidden desires. Soon he becomes the center of her daring new life, pulling love and lust and emotion out of her in ways she never imagined possible. But there is more to Andrew than Camryn realizes. Will his secret push them inseparably together-or destroy them forever?


Cover: I neither love or hate this cover.  I did appreciate that the female protagonist Camryn is described throughout as wearing her hair in a braid over her shoulder and that matching the cover model is a nice touch.

I've seen this book all over Goodreads, and New Adut has become a new favourite genre.  And this one has received a slew of amazing reviews, so I was really excited to finally get and read it.
I didn't hate it, but I feel it was overly hyped.
I didn't particularly warm to Camryn's character.  Her slut shaming attitude got irritating.
Andrew- I liked him a bit more, but he was definitely not a swoon worthy NA hero, like, say Cam from Jennifer L. Armentout's Wait For You.
The whole meeting on a bus, and then road tripping together was a great premise, but it wasn't exciting as it sounded.
Andrew basically lies to Camryn for the whole book.
I feel the author tried to make her characters much deeper than they actually were.  She gave them this incredible sense of wonderlust - but I don't think it came off well at all.

“When I could hold my eyes open long enough, I did stare up at the rain pelting down on me. I’ve never looked at it like that, straight up into the sky, and while I flinched more than I could actually see, when I could see it was absolutely beautiful. Like each drop rocketing towards me was separate from the thousands of others and for a suspended moment in time, I could glimpse it and see its delicate facets. I saw the gray clouds churning above me and felt the car shake when the wind from the traffic pushed against it. I shivered even though it’s warm enough to swim. But nothing I saw or felt or heard was as warm and fascinating as Andrew’s closeness.” 
I just didn't find myself overly moved by this attempt at poetic souls.
The whole grief process was truly messed up in this book.
Over all I felt the premise of a grest NA novel was there, but it just didn't materialise.
3/5 stars.










No comments:

Post a Comment