Thursday 19 December 2013

Legend by Marie Lu

Received for review
Paperback: 262 pages
Published: November 29th 2011
Razorbill
Legend #1

What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem. 
From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets. 

Dystopian is not my go to genre.  Having said that there have been those that I've read that I count among some of my favourte books- Divergent and Acid come to mind.
So I'm always willing to try a dystopian, and this is one I saw popping up everywhere when it was released, and so I finally decided to pick it up.
It definitely wasn't one of my favourite dystopian novels...but I didn't hate it.
Overall I found the plot of the corrupt Republic, the differences between the rich and poor sectors, and a lot of the revelations, really interesting.
I really liked how strong and kick ass both June and Day were, and how they were brought together- even if it times I had trouble believing their ages were 15.  Somehow I just didn't buy it- despite the tough circumstances of the world building.
The mystery and suspense of who actually murdered June's brother was really well done, and the revelation of who did was excellent, and I hope that there's more on it in book 2.
I did find it slow paced.  A lot of the time I didn't have the motivation to pick it up and read- not because the plot wasn't solid- but just because I found it slow going.
I liked that we got both Day and June's perspectives, and at first I didn't like June- but towards the end she redeemed herself.
I enjoyed it, and I will continue the series but I'm not in a hurry to do so.
3/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment