Friday 7 March 2014

Scent of Magic (Healer 2) by Maria V. Snyder

Paperback: 400 pages
Publisher: Mira (3 May 2013)
Language: English
ISBN-10: 1848452217
ISBN-13: 978-1848452213

Hunted, Killed—Survived?

As the last Healer in the Fifteen Realms, Avry of Kazan is in a unique position: in the minds of her friends and foes alike, she no longer exists. Despite her need to prevent the megalomanical King Tohon from winning control of the Realms, Avry is also determined to find her sister and repair their estrangement. And she must do it alone, as Kerrick, her partner and sole confident, returns to Alga to summon his country into battle.

Though she should be in hiding, Avry will do whatever she can to support Tohon’s opponents. Including infiltrating a holy army, evading magic sniffers, teaching forest skills to soldiers and figuring out how to stop Tohon’s most horrible creations yet; an army of the walking dead—human and animal alike and nearly impossible to defeat.

War is coming and Avry is alone. Unless she figures out how to do the impossible ... again.


Cover:  I love the covers to this series.  I was so pleased that they kept the same design as the first book.

I loved the first book in this series, Touch of Magic, and I've also read and loved the Poison Study Trilogy.
I've left reading the second book in this series til now, because I wanted to wait until the third and final book in the series was released.
I thoroughly enjoyed this one- I felt there was a lot more inaction in this one.  A lot of waiting for Tohon's army to attack.
Avry and Kerrick, I love their romance, but in this one they spend the majority of the book apart, which was a little shame.  But on the plus side, in this book we had WAY more of Kerrick's point of view.  In the first book we ha his POV maybe 2-3 times.  Whereas in this one, it alternates between Avery and Kerrick.  Loved it.
It was amazing how quickly I became re-absorbed with the world and the characters, and while I remember quite well everything that happened in book one, they were recapped, but not in a heavy handed way.
Some really pleasant surprises regarding a particular character from the first book (which I can't say for spoilers).
Also some great twists and turns that I didn't see coming.
Really looking forward to the third book in the series and I hope to pick it up soon- the ending was a totally evil cliffhanger!!!
5/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment