Monday 19 May 2014

The Book Of You by Claire Kendal

Hardcover: 384 pages
Publisher: HarperCollins (10 April 2014)
ISBN-13: 978-0007531646

A terrifying psychological thriller about obsession and power, perfect for fans of Gone Girl and Before I Go to Sleep.

Clarissa is becoming more and more frightened of her colleague, Rafe. He won’t leave her alone, and he refuses to take no for an answer. He is always there.

Being selected for jury service is a relief. The courtroom is a safe haven, a place where Rafe can’t be. But as a violent tale of kidnap and abuse unfolds, Clarissa begins to see parallels between her own situation and that of the young woman on the witness stand.

Realizing that she bears the burden of proof, Clarissa unravels the twisted, macabre fairytale that Rafe has spun around them – and discovers that the ending he envisions is more terrifying than she could have imagined.

But how do you protect yourself from an enemy no one else can see?


Cover:  I love the cover for this book, it's really quite creepy with the looming figure's shadow.

An adult psychological thriller is not my normal type of book, but I saw this on two of my fellow BookTubers channels- DebrasBookCafe and DuvetDayDevours, and I was so intrigued by the storyline of Clarissa being stalked and a seven week trail being respite from her ordeal- but then the trial showing similarities to her own situation.
At the time, I just felt like a creppier, darker read than my normal genres so decided to pick it up.
The progress of Rafe's stalking, how it builds and becomes more and more intrusive and terrifying.
Clarissa was a very dull character- other than the fact that she was blonde, in her late 30s and a keen sewer- I didn't get to know much more about her.
The portrayal of stalking was definitely scary, seeing it progress- and reaching it's ultimate conclusion.
I do feel at the end there was a lot of loose ends and ambiguity. I wantedthings wrapped up, and they weren't.
I did enjoy the references to the darker fairytales- such as Blue Beard.
Over all I did enjoy it, liked reading something a little different for me, but I wanted a more clear cut ending.
3/5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment