Monday 27 July 2015

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh

17571564Paperback: 384 pages
Publisher: Square Peg (31 Oct. 2013)
ISBN-10: 0224095374
ISBN-13: 978-0224095372

This is a book I wrote. Because I wrote it, I had to figure out what to put on the back cover to explain what it is. I tried to write a long, third-person summary that would imply how great the book is and also sound vaguely authoritative--like maybe someone who isn’t me wrote it--but I soon discovered that I’m not sneaky enough to pull it off convincingly. So I decided to just make a list of things that are in the book:

Pictures
Words
Stories about things that happened to me
Stories about things that happened to other people because of me
Eight billion dollars*
Stories about dogs
The secret to eternal happiness*

*These are lies. Perhaps I have underestimated my sneakiness!


Cover:  I love this fun cover.  It just makes me smile inexplicably. 


This book has been sitting on my shelf for nearly two years.
I have absolutely no idea why.  It was amazing.
I couldn't put it down from the moment I picked it up.
Allie Brosh's unique way of story telling through picutres drawn on paint- just sucked me right in.
And it's hilarious.  Actually laugh out loud funny.  I actually had to stop reading at some point because I was hurting from laughing so much.
The serious issue of depression is handled so well.  The humour not completely outweighing the seriousness.
But Allie Brosh has written in such a way- that I feel an affinity to to her, and her crazy animated figure.
There were some situations (OK- quite a few of them) where in my head I was screaming, "that's me!", "I'm just like that!"
This book was so relatable and since reading it- have been non-stop recommending it to everyone I know.
Only regret?
Not reading it sooner.
5/5 stars.

Some of my favourite panels.

























No comments:

Post a Comment